Over the past decade, the cosmetic dentistry industry has seen phenomenal growth. Despite numerous challenges, the creation of new technologies has taken this sector to the next level. As each new discovery makes innovative cosmetic solutions available to patients, we feel this field of dentistry will continue to grow and become even more popular.
Our clinic sees more patients for cosmetic dentistry in Goodyear, AZ every year, but don’t just take our word for it. Read on to learn more!
PATIENT DEMOGRAPHICS & STATISTICS – THE INCREASING DEMAND FOR COSMETIC DENTISTRY
Who is enjoying the benefits of cosmetic dentistry procedures? According to recent surveys conducted by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry:
- Sixty percent of patients seeking cosmetic dentistry treatments were female and forty percent were male.
- The age distribution was wide, with fifty six percent of the people surveyed falling in the 31 to 60 age bracket.
- The most common types of cosmetic procedures were whitening, implants, crowns, bonding, bridges, orthodontic treatment, and veneers.
- 86% of those surveyed said that they wanted cosmetic treatment for a boost in self-esteem and to look better.
- Other reasons included special occasions such as weddings, fixing previous treatment results, better oral health or overall health reasons, looking and feeling younger, as well as finding success in careers or romantic relationships.
According to another survey by Grand View Research, Inc., the cosmetic dentistry market was valued at an estimated $15.8 billion in 2015, and is expected to grow to almost $28 billion by 2024. Based on the information collected from these surveys, it’s quite evident that cosmetic dentistry will be here for a long time!
LATEST TRENDS IN COSMETIC DENTISTRY
Here are the top cosmetic dental treatments that people are choosing these days:
- Teeth Whitening – Getting teeth bleached or whitened professionally is safer, faster and more effective than home treatments. Most people want whiter teeth for aesthetic reasons, so this cosmetic dentistry procedure continues to grow in popularity
- Veneers & Crowns – Veneers and crowns are used to correct defects such as gaps in teeth, as well as discolored, stained and crooked teeth. New technology has helped to make dental veneers thinner and crowns more natural-looking than ever before.
- Dental Implants – Implants are perfect alternatives to full or partial dentures for patients with missing teeth and those who need to undergo tooth extractions. They help maintain facial and jaw structure in addition to providing functional benefits.
- Bonding & Tooth Colored Filling – Tooth fillings and bonding can be used to fix broken teeth as well as cavities, chips and stains. Modern dental composite materials are more durable than traditional ones, and can be colored to match teeth perfectly.
- Full Mouth Reconstruction – Full mouth reconstruction uses various restorative dentistry procedures to correct functional problems in teeth, gums, jaw and muscular or bone structure of the face. It’s particularly helpful for people with bite or speech problems.
- Smile Makeovers – Like full mouth reconstruction, smile makeovers involve multiple dental techniques. However, the goal is to combine cosmetic dentistry treatments such as veneers, implants, tooth reshaping and whitening to improve your smile.
IMPROVEMENTS IN COSMETIC DENTISTRY
The industry has seen several major improvements that have made seeing a cosmetic dentist a better experience, including:
- Ceramic Dental Materials – Instead of metals, dentists use ceramics that look better and perform better too, remaining durable even when they are applied in thin layers.
- Conservative/Minimally Invasive Dentistry – The use of lasers and other technology has made cosmetic dentistry procedures simpler, quicker and more comfortable.
- High Level of Customization – There are far more options available, and specialists such as orthodontists and periodontists are often involved in cosmetic treatment planning.
DENTISTRY GONE DIGITAL
Here are some examples of advancements in digital dentistry technology:
- CBCT (Cone Beam Imaging) in 3D Dentistry – This digital imaging technology has transformed the way cosmetic dentistry is planned and performed. It gives dentists clear and highly detailed images of the oral cavity, teeth as well as surrounding tissue.
- Computer-Aided Design/Manufacturing (CAD/CAM) – These software solutions have made cosmetic dentistry more accurate and efficient, allowing dentists to digitally scan your dental structure before building your smile in a highly computerized lab.
- Dental Lasers & CO2 Lasers – Lasers are used in functional as well as cosmetic dentistry treatments these days. For instance, they may be used for trimming, reshaping or sculpting and then re-sealing the gum line before the application of dental veneers.
- Digital Caries Detection – Fluoride use has made our teeth stronger, which makes caries or tooth decay harder to detect. This technology uses fluorescent lighting to offer a reflection that helps dentists detect the presence and severity of dental caries.
Current cosmetic dentistry trends are geared towards improving health, building self-esteem, and improving appearance. With new technological developments, more people are accessing these services at a decreased cost, with less pain, and with shorter treatment times. To know more about cosmetic and restorative dentistry solutions, book an appointment at our Goodyear dentist office today!