Regular brushing and flossing are everyday ways to keep your teeth healthy and bright but if you still feel that your smile lacks the sparkle, you can opt for professional teeth whitening and bring back your smile’s former charm.
What is Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening is a quick and effective technique that safely brightens your smile and boosts your confidence. This cosmetic dentistry procedure efficiently lightens the stains and discoloration caused by coffee, tea, soda, tobacco, certain medications, radiation, chemotherapy, and aging. You can also whiten your teeth at home using over-the-counter teeth whitening treatments but if you are looking for better results that last longer, you can visit a teeth whitening dentist in Goodyear, AZ and know your treatment options.
What Causes Teeth Stains and Discoloration?
Your teeth can go from bright and white to yellow and stained for several reasons. Food and drinks containing intense color pigments are major culprits. Excessive use of tobacco also discolors the tooth enamel, leaving behind stubborn stains. With age, the outer enamel of your teeth turns thinner with brushing, exposing the yellow dentin. Trauma and medications are also known to change the color of your teeth over time.
Who is an Ideal Candidate for Teeth Whitening?
An ideal candidate for professional teeth whitening has healthy teeth and gum tissues without any restorations or fillings. However, teeth whitening is not suitable for pregnant women, lactating mothers, people with dental implants and dental bridges, children who are under 16 years of age, people suffering from cavities, tooth decay, gum disease, sensitivity, and those who are allergic to bleaching agents like carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide.
How Does This Cosmetic Dentistry Procedure Work?
Professional teeth whitening is a simple outpatient cosmetic dentistry procedure that uses bleaching agent to break stains into smaller fragments, making the discoloration less concentrated, leaving your teeth brighter than before. If you want to know more about other teeth whitening alternatives, you can talk to a teeth whitening dentist in Goodyear, AZ and determine which treatment will give you the best results.
What are the Advantages of Professional Teeth Whitening?
If you want to achieve that flawless selfie-worthy smile, you can consider professional teeth whitening treatment and enjoy the following benefits:
- This cosmetic dentistry procedure confers confidence and makes you look younger naturally by giving you a whiter, brighter smile.
- It is a quick and painless procedure that gives you great results in the least conservative manner possible.
The results of professional teeth whitening last longer.
- Oral health is greatly improved because patients avoid unhealthy foods and beverages during and after the treatment to maintain the results and also take good care of their teeth with regular brushing and flossing.
What are the Different Types of Teeth Whitening Methods?
Be sure to consult the best dentist in Arizona to know if you are a candidate for teeth whitening. If you are, there are 3 main types of teeth whitening treatments available:
- Professional Teeth WhiteningThis cosmetic dentistry procedure is also called chairside bleaching and is usually completed in just one visit that does not last more than one hour. During the procedure, the dental professional applies a rubber shield or a protective gel to your gums to protect them. The bleaching agent is then applied on to your teeth and is sometimes activated using laser, light or heat.
- At-Home Teeth Whitening KitsThere are many DIY whitening kits available on the market including strips and paint-on whiteners but their efficacy varies depending on their bleaching content. These at-home kits are relatively cheaper but not recommended as they tend to be acidic and are not always assessed for safety so these products could possibly damage your teeth.
- Over-the-Counter Teeth Whitening ProductsThere are several teeth whitening toothpastes available on the market and while they may not be able to change the natural color of your teeth, they can remove the stains. But since these toothpastes are abrasive, they tend to wear your teeth enamel with repeated use, leaving them pale and yellow.
Does Teeth Whitening Have Any Side Effects?
A professional teeth whitening procedure is considered much safer because your treatment is custom-tailored for the best results and you have an experienced teeth whitening dentist performing the procedure. Your treatment is being constantly monitored every step of the way to ensure complete safety and efficacy. However, some people may experience minor discomfort and tooth sensitivity following the procedure but, this is a temporary effect of peroxide.
How Long Do the Results of Professional Teeth Whitening Last?
The effects of professional teeth whitening typically last up to 3 years but this varies from patient to patient depending on your oral habits and individual circumstances. The results will also be affected by your intake of tobacco, tea, coffee, cola or red wine.
How to Take Care of Teeth after Professional Teeth Whitening for Long-lasting Results?
If you want your new whiter, brighter smile to last longer, you would need to:
- Avoid tobacco and cut down on your intake of sugary foods and beverages that are likely to stain your teeth.
- Drink plenty of water because it helps rinse the stains away from the surface of your enamel.
- Schedule regular checkups with your nearest dentist in Goodyear, AZ today.